Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Anthem part 2 (the current song of my heart)

Psalm 28:8

The Lord is their strength, And He is a saving defense to His anointed.

Lamentations 3:24

"The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "Therefore I have hope in Him."

I had planned to come back and share a {current} anthem in my life, and today said song was the soft spot I needed to land in.

Today would have been a great day to hear encouraging words, but instead a perfect stranger spoke to me in the rudest way a stranger had ever spoken to me. Ever. I didn't provoke him. He just had an opinion and he shared it. He wasn't one of those odd looking characters that you expect things like that from. He was a well groomed, well dressed man, old enough to know better. At the time I was finishing up an errand, with a headache. A headache that was unexpectedly escalating and I was hoping not to get sick before getting home. I knew at the moment it was wise to ignore the remarks and continue on my way. Later I had plenty of ideas for responses. None of them life giving.

In all my weariness, there was a place of strength. Not my strength, but my portion. A measure of hope and strength, of love and mercy, and of peace. An unfailing shelter from the voices of discouragement.

Sometimes we need to be very deliberate in running to that shelter. This song is a part of that running for me. One of those songs I put on repeat at times, just to let it soak in.

(a couple of days ago when looking for a video to share the song, I listened to several renditions of the song, mostly by people that loved the song and wanted to make their own video.

That night everyone of them touched me. It was meaningful to see all of these different people singing the same song to their God, my God, with their own voices. Truthfully, I didn't listen to the entire video for most of them, but I kept clicking on videos and watching ordinary people sing. Tonight, I was just too tired to tolerate even one of the humble renditions, but the memory of those singing is a sweet one.)

I think I have found a way to let you listen to the song with an audio link...we'll see if it works.

You are my Strength

*Now tell me, what are the current anthems of your life?

PS here is another song that runs a close second along the same line.

His eye is on the Sparrow

post signature

5 comments:

Shell in your Pocket said...

What a wonderful post!!!

Sorry he was so rude...everyone seems to be on the "edge" lately...I really have noticed it lately!
-Sandy Toes

Marsha said...

Excellent thoughts.

Jacy said...

So encouraging! There have been so many times where I leave a very similar situation of which you described, brainstorming all the possibilities of replies in my defense. It's not worth it and this post really encourages me to seek shelter or 'my portion.' However I do often wonder, when this happens and I find myself coming up with a clever response to one's rudeness...are they perhaps doing the same thing and brainstorming with regret of things they should NOT have said? :P Thank you for this excellent cup of encouragment :)

Melissa Lester said...

I have enjoyed spending some time here this evening on a break from cleaning house now that the children are in bed. What a lovely, encouraging site you have here! In response to your question, "Be With Me, Lord" is a hymn that I go to a lot. I love the vulnerability expressed, as well as the desire for companionship with the Lord. I'm so thankful for songs that draw us closer to God and remind us how much He loves us.

Chelle said...

Finding in your words so much encouragment and wisdom. Thank you...I am so happy to come here tonight and find several "new" posts.

Add to Technorati Favorites

CWO

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed